Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Today's Frugal Offerings

It's cold and snowy here. A perfect day to find little projects in the home.

Today:

Instead of the McDonald's cheeseburger (sans meat and replaced by a boca) and coke that I am craving ; I made pb and raisin lunch muffins from Amy Dacyczyn's universal muffin recipe and used up all of my corn meal.

I'm washing a load of laundry and dishes that I'm going to air dry. The air is so dry in our house every bit of moisture will help.

Little Guy is in a cloth diaper today.

During nap time I'll wrap a few Christmas presents and make two batches of Christmas cookies from the mixes I found in the pantry yesterday.

I'm assembling a stew from our neglected handful of crisper veggies and a veggie burger or two.
We have fresh buttermilk bread that I made yesterday to go with it.

I think I'll do a quick pantry clean and see if I have enough ingredients to make some cocoa mix for myself and a teacher gift. This recipe from The Sneaky Kitchen looks promising. They also list the directions for Cafe Vienna and Swiss Mocha. I'll just have to see what I have on hand.

Austrian Mocha Expresso
1/2 cup of instant coffee
2-1/2 cups nonfat dry milk
1/2 cup of sugar
1/4 cup baking cocoa powder

Mix well and store in a labeled container.

To serve, add two teaspoons or more to taste to a cup of steaming hot water. This blend is so delicious and smooth that people linger over it for hours. It's especially relaxing and refreshing, and so satisfying.


I made stove top potpourri with our leftover orange rinds and a stick of cinnamon.

I love these kind of days.

No comments:

Google