Thursday, January 17, 2008

Enjoying the journey- frugal style

We ventured out to the grocery store because it's $10 off a $50 purchase coupon day.
Last night I sat down with hubby and clipped coupons while we watched American Idol so I knew what I needed and had a list ready to go. Luckily both of the kids were little angels (it helped that I brought a baggie of crackers) and we got through the store with a loaded cart unscathed. No major great deals but we did save $23 with coupons and discounts. We're stocked up on eggs and tortillas. I happened to notice that we have peppers, onion, and mushrooms that need to get used up so we're having breakfast burritos for dinner.

While putting away groceries I was trying to do a bit of a refrigerator clean out. Two rotting oranges, a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice, and a used herbal tea bag became stove top potpourri.


And today I bought the last thing I needed to make my own Laundry Detergent- Borax. I have been finding Borax, Washing soda, and Fels Naptha at the grocery store. I used Mary Hunt's recipe: 1 bar of grated Fels Naptha, 1/2 cup of Borax, 1/2 cup of Washing soda. Mix all three together and store in an airtight container. Use 2 tbs. per load.

Three blackened bananas and a handful of pecans precipitated a batch of banana bread.


The house smells good and I have dinner planned so the rest of those not so fun chores will be a little more endurable.

No comments:

Google