Monday, September 29, 2008

Plowing Through the Yuck.





The whole family has varying degrees of colds and yuck. After I got everyone out and off this morning I resisted cancelling any appointments today and crawling back into bed. Instead I went to Walgreens and stocked up the free after rebate deals and some of the XCEL laundry detergent. It smells nice so I'm going to try it. While I think that making your own laundry detergent is great, I don't bother when I can find jugs of it for $2.50 or less. Last week I used a Walgreens Snuggle coupon combined with a MFR coupon to get the 40 count box softener sheets for $1.60. I cut them in half (they are very potent) and now I have 80 which makes my cost per load .02 cents. That's not bad for name brand softener.


And now I have to get back to my chores- I know that we may be worse off in a few days and I will be glad I got my jobs done today. Sigh. The good thing about cleaning the house every few days is that it doesn't take long to spiff it up again. First I'm going to light that Yankee Candle I bought last week (with a coupon) and put on the Fiddler on the Roof Soundtrack CD so I can set the cleaning mood. Then I'll don my apron and get an empty laundry basket and get to work putting away toys for vacuuming and sweeping. What do you do to get yourself ready for chores?

I'll just hope company ignores the sippy cup spill stains on the carpet until we have a free afternoon with the carpet cleaner.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

I tried the homemade detergent but the cleaning results were less than wonderful.
Like you, I often buy the low cost detergent and use it for most all our laundry.
but I do try to keep one bottle of Tide or All or some other stain-fighter detergent to use on stains that I think will be tough.

hope your cold is over before you know it.

Google