Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Laundry Day Pot o' Beans



I took a few days off of laundry duty and today I am paying for it. So far I've done five loads and I have one more to go. I haven't stripped our bed linens yet. I think I'll do that tomorrow. So, now I'm sitting on top of Mt. Washmore and thinking that I'll go back to throwing everything in the washer again tomorrow. I normally do one load a day which roughly amounts to all the dirty clothes and kitchen/bath towels from the day before. Colors and whites all mixed together- I don't care because I get them done faster. But, today the one reward I'll get from being laundry lazy is to enjoy the hot water soapy bleach smell from soaking whites.

I found this on the Tabasco.com website:
"Red beans and rice became a traditional dish on Mondays in New Orleans because it made use of the ham bone left over from Sunday dinner. Monday was typically wash day, and the beans could be simmered for a long time on the back of the stove while the laundry was being done."

Around here the only dried red beans I find at the grocery store are kidney beans.
Today I'm cooking a pot of black beans. I love the rich flavor and they are so good with a splash of lime juice, some chopped cilantro, garlic and onions.

No comments:

Google