Monday, April 14, 2008

When 99 cents breaks the bank



Meredith blogged about finding groceries in the Dollar Store. I was really excited about finding even more great cheap ideas for our ever stretched grocery budget.

I admit that I've been pretty off track this week with my $30 dollar grocery challenge with all the eating out and whatnot. But, with food shopping I've been sticking to my wallet. After a quick trip to Aldi today where I bought two gallons of milk, a dozen eggs, a bag of salad, and a unneccessary splurge on a 2.99 bottle of wine, I've only got four dollars and some change left in my envelope.

That four dollars will have to buy me a gallon milk in two weeks. As much as I want to peruse the dollar store and come up with my own gourmet menu- this month it just isn't happening. Besides, some of the stuff at my local Dollar Tree and Deals is just more expensive than buying on sale at the regular grocery or shopping at Aldi. I would never pay a dollar for a bottle of spice when Wal-greens occasionally has coupons for .39 cent bottles. Jiffy mix is more expensive than the grocery store too. Dollar Stores are great for many things (stationery and greeting cards to name two) and I'm glad to have them. But, for great deals I'll stick with Aldi or couponing/sales shopping at Schnucks.

1 comment:

jonceramic said...

To be fair, dear, our blowing of the budget by eating out has solely been "smashed the car" and "puking baby" stress. You've been doing a great job eating down our pantry. *smooch*

Google