Friday, November 2, 2007

Where there's a Goodwill, there's a way

Yeah, ok. Lame title.

I ran into a friend today as I was unloading my children from my car. She asked what we were up to and I told her that we'd just been Christmas shopping at Goodwill. It was scary for me to admit to new friends that I do indeed buy some presents at Goodwill but I figure if I scare them away so be it. (Besides, most of the time I buy new stuff at Goodwill anyway). And she told me that she'd never been to a Goodwill.

This is a friend who, when I compliment a piece of furniture or an outfit, tells me she got it off of a curb on trash day or from a garage sale. I was a little stumped.
So, I gave her directions to the nearest Goodwill. I'm hoping she checks it out.
And then I let her in the house to bag up some of Big Girls outgrown clothes and shoes for her own little girl before I store them in the basement for the garage sale that it seems like we'll never have.

**Another rant for another day** If I got rid of everything that is earmarked for a garage sale or ebay we'd have a nice clutter free house. I am not a person that can organize clutter. I have learned this the hard way. Reminder: Nag hubby to craigslist or ebay stuff or just take it to Goodwill**

Did you know that some Goodwills will even let you buy Gift certificates? And now Save-A-Lot too? And Big Lots? All really good ideas for gifts to give to hard to shop for (but frugal minded) people or just to give as gifts in a charity basket.

I did find some new socks, new belt and a video game system of some kind (for hubby) for presents. I also couldn't resist some cute shirts and new shoes for Little Guy and some books for the kids and I. I spent 28.00. That's a far cry from the $128.00I spent at Kohl's this morning (well, ok... $45 after Kohls Cash Back bucks and Discover Card cash back gift card). I am already planning on taking two things back. Tell me someone-- why are men so hard to shop for?

No comments:

Google