Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Make your own special sauce-- or just buy a jar



I have to admit that I was loathe to use my last jar of Prego (i.e. good) sale sauce. Instead I got out a can of tomato paste and a packet of spaghetti sauce seasoning.
Mistake. Despite adding a can of mushrooms, some tvp sprinkles, some more garlic powder, two tablespoons of butter, and a tablespoon of sugar to this guck.. it was still bitter.

We managed to eat one meal of it (with heavy doses of parmesan cheese.. "Look, it's snowing on my noodles."). But when I went to pack away the leftovers for Hubby's work lunches he told me just to toss it in his nicest, politest, "I love you honey, but this dinner sucked" way. Yeah, I agree. I couldn't make him reheat this mess and look forward to his lunch that day. Too bad. I used a whole box of whole wheat rotini (.40 cents/Big Lots sale). I briefly thought about rinsing the sauce off to re-use the noodles but I just couldn't go there.

So, it boils down to this: Spaghetti Seasoning packets may say they make great sauce but don't believe it.. even if you save .40 by using paste and a packet. I'm telling you.. avoid the .39 cent Big Lots temptation from these deceptive little packets that make you think, "gourmet on the cheap, aren't I smart?" Nope.
Just spring for the jar or make it from scratch old country style.



Farewell, my disappointing pasta dinner. Farewell. It's a burial at sea (or disposal) for you.

No comments:

Google