Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Flying towards Thanksgiving

It's time to start thinking about our Thanksgiving menus and grocery lists. Now is the time to start price comparing and stocking up on basic pantry needs for that day.

My small family usually does Thanksgiving by ourselves and uses the Friday/weekend after to see family. It's easier since we don't do turkey and no one else has to endure our beloved tofurky roast. I'm getting excited just thinking about how the house is going to smell that afternoon. I love Thanksgiving food! Few things have changed from my Mom's menu to mine. Instead of turkey- tofurky. We use vegetarian options for standard food (marshmallow creme instead of marshmallows, meat-free extras like stuffing mix). And we don't have baked beans either. I used to make them but we just had too much food for the few of us. And it was the one thing to go. But, you'd be surprised how well cranberry sauce and sweet tangy baked beans go together. Yum!

I have a standard menu/recipes I use every year and I doubt for efficiency's sake and personal preference that I will change it.

Here it is:

Tofurky Roast with Veggies
Cranberry Sauce
Sweet Potato Casserole
Stuffing with Gravy
Rolls
Sparkling Cider
Pumpkin Pie with Whipped Cream


Grocery List:
Our standard Tofurky roast. I already have one in the freezer bought on clearance last spring.

Potatoes, Carrots, Celery, Onions to go in the tofurky roast pan. (will buy closer to the date)

Standard savory bread stuffing (probably Pepperidge Farm herb as I think it's chicken fat free) Need to buy.

Veggie Broth in box (I could use the powdered kind but it just doesn't taste the same) (need to buy)

Brown Gravy Mix (have some on hand)

Frozen OJ concentrate (for the cranberry sauce and to make the tofurky marinade) (remember to hold back one of the cans in freezer for Thanksgiving)

Sweet Potatoes (will buy closer to the date)

Brown Sugar (for the potatoes and marinade.. need to check pantry)

Marshmallow creme (for candied potatoes) (need to buy some)

Walnuts (to go on top of potatoes for last fifteen minutes of baking) (have on hand)

Rhodes frozen yeast rolls (need to buy)

Bag of Cranberries (need to buy closer to date)

Pumpkin (have cans on hand)

Pie Spices (all on hand)

Evaporated Milk (have one can.. buy one more)

Pie Crust (I buy Save-A-Lots bag of 2 deep dish for 1.00) (need to buy)

Whipped Cream (need to buy)

Sparking Cider (two bottles in pantry.. bought on clearance at Big Lots)


What ingredients do you need for your menu?

1 comment:

mom of the year said...

MMMMMMMMM. I'm a meat eater myself, but I do enjoy tons of stuff that doesn't come from a pasture. I'd love your Thanksgiving!!!

Google