Friday, November 9, 2007

The Irony: Simplify by Consuming


So, I was wandering around Gordmans today when I had some free time to kill (a luxury- I know). Sometimes (I do mean 'sometimes' as in 'rarely') they have a really good deal on their clearance items. I'm still using my $3.00 purse that I splurged on (Hey, purses go for 2.45 at Goodwill!).

Anyway, for some reason I was in the decor section. A section I rarely go to because well, I am a self-confessed non-decorator. I don't have a theme unless second hand, thrift store, and clearance things that caught my eye are a theme together... ok, we'll call it ecletic meets refugee. I don't buy things to coordinate with what I have. I am not that person. But, nonetheless, I was in the knick knack, shelving, doo hickey section that people go to when they want to buy some decor item to make a statement to people about themselves or their house-- "I like rustic" "I'm religious" "I like Americana" "I'm shabby chic" etc. etc. And I was noticing the word "Simplify" everywhere. On painted wooden hangings, cut into metal luminaries, on glass candle holders. I was kinda stumped.. and then highly amused that someone might buy 'something' to simplify or to make that statement. The only way I think you could get away with that is if that was the only knick knack you had in your house. And I doubt the people tossing these primitive 'simplify' chachkis into their cart get it.

3 comments:

SAHMmy Says said...

"Eclectic meets Refugee"--too funny! My house is stuck in Early Dorm Room. Props on the correct usage of "irony" :)

jonceramic said...

Today, I went out to eat, and we saw they had "old" stuff on the walls. Washboards, old stoves, farm implements, etc.

And, we got to wondering, 50 years from now, are they going to be putting up Leaf Blowers and George Foreman grills?

I mean, what kind of "antiques" are people going to cherish from our era?

Tread Softly said...

People really think they can buy anything.

I've decided to call my decorating style, "Discerning Hobo."

Google