Friday, November 9, 2007

The Allure of the 'nice grocery store'

Today I made the executive (mistake) decision to go to the convenient yet pricey local grocery store (Dierbergs for those of you in the St. Louis area).

Oh, the aisles are wide. The store is brightly lit with a beautiful array of pleasing fruit and vegetable bins nicely decorated with fall foliage. And oh, the exotic variety of goods. It's the store that I would think about shopping at if money were no object (until I decided that just because I have extra money doesn't mean that I need to spend it stupidly.)

I hadn't been there in months. I had forgotten how nice it is to be able to buy stamps, vegetarian food products, and milk in one store. I was tickled that my Big Girl was looking for empty boxes to help me 'bag up' afterwards. I had to tell her that at this grocery store they give you bags free and even bag it for you. She looked at me like I was talking another language and with a shrug of disappointment put her proffered box away.

I wandered the aisles a bit looking (drooling) at the fancy bottles and labels and goodies slathering a bit especially in the spice aisle. They had those cute little tins of Watkins. I was so tempted but the only spice I needed was savory. It had been alluding me for months, this single spice. But, I found one bottle of McCormick's in the overpriced glass bottle with the light green lid. I very begrudgingly paid 5.49 for this little bottle because I knew I'd spend more on shipping just to order it cheaper online. Tell, what makes the glass bottles of seasoning more expensive?


But, in the end, even though I spent a lot more than I usually do on my few items- it was worth it. I eliminated a trip to the post office. I didn't have to bag my food. I stocked up on veggie meat that my normal (not discount) grocer doesn't carry and I got two free cookies from the bakery to quiet my whining children. Of course, I begged the bakery girl to re-stock the free cookie tin. But, she did.
Those are the things that make the pricey grocery nice. Once in a while anyway.

No comments:

Google