Monday, November 26, 2007

Dumb Spending to get free stuff.

I'm guilty. I admit that I am more likely to make a purchase that I might otherwise easily walk away from if there is a free gift involved.

Today, when I was driving the kids home I decided that I might like to look for a mailbox decoration. I'm not crafty and I don't have a lot of extras like garland or fake flowers to make my own decoration. Realizing that I had a $20 dollar gift certificate to K-Mart (from mypoints earnings) I thought I might try there. Well, no mailbox decor of any kind (slipped my mind to look for items to make my own). But, what the heck, I'm already in the store. I'll look around.
Ohh, toy clearance.. two My First Leappad sets for under $6 a piece. Into the cart.
My, a handsome blue valance with dinosaur tracks for Little Guy's dinosaur themed room on clearance. Into the cart.
More scotch tape.. a wrapping paper cutter (could have lived w/o). A red turtle neck for Little Guy's Christmas photo on sale. A buy one get one free face powder with a dollar off coupon. All into the cart.
So, by the time I get to the check out I have $39 worth of junk in my cart. And none of it is for my original purpose of a mailbox cover. Minus the gift card that's still $19 out of pocket. Hmm, would I like to sign up for a Sears charge and get two free gifts? What are the gifts? A box of candy and a choice of gift cards in different denominations ($1, $5, $10). Hmm, I do like free gifts. Sure, I'll sign up for a credit card that I will probably never use and end up having to cancel in a few years anyway.
Turns out my free gift is a small box of Reeses Pieces and by choice of gift card I get to pick three out of someones hand and hope for a high denomination... I got a $5.00 card.

I should have just driven home.

No comments:

Google