Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Parenting Files: A Growing Imagination

I made the mistake of thinking that my science loving Big Girl wouldn't get scared about watching a kid's video about mummies that we borrowed from the library. She did pay rapt attention to it as she was watching it. So, silly me didn't think anything about it until bedtime when she snuck out of bed to come and talk to me. I don't know if it was worse because Daddy wasn't here but she was scared and I felt like a bad mommy. She made me promise repeatedly that I wouldn't let any mummies into the house if they knocked on the door. And then there's the standard childhood worry about monsters (or mummies in this case) under the bed. I tried to waylay that fear by explaining that nothing can fit under her bed because we're storing too much stuff under there.
Finally, after ten minutes of her telling me, "Mommy please, Don't let the mummies in the house" and me explaining that mummies aren't alive, they can't walk, and no mummies are anywhere close to being by our house anyway.. then she finally calmed down and went to bed.
I gave up arguing with her today about how real Egyptian mummies -are not- wrapped in toilet paper. I know the Egyptian culture was ahead of the curve.. but I'm pretty sure that they didn't have Charmin. Sure they could build awe inspiring pyramids but I'm pretty sure they hadn't figured out the niceties of a good 'butt wipe.'





Halloween is in the air so her imagination is on overdrive. Today as I prepared to bag up my Save-A-Lot groceries (with their free bags) she searched underneath the shelves for a proper box to help. She found one with a cut out on the side, stuck it on her head and declared, "I'm AstroPig from Outerspace and I need you to come with me now!" in a funny little gurgly accent that I can't duplicate here except to say that it sounded like she was talking while gargling. Well, don't you know that that's exactly what a pig from space -would- sound like.

1 comment:

SAHMmy Says said...

Don't feel bad--at least your video was educational! We've let our son watch Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Spiderman many, many times. For quite a while he didn't seem to be bothered by anything he saw, but a few months ago he made me remove a Yoda figure from the shelf above his bed because he said it was looking at him! Now we're back to watching Blues Clues :) When he starts talking about scary things at bedtime, I have him list all the sweet things (chubby puppies, marshmallows, etc.) he wants to dream about. It gets his mind off of the scary images.

Google