Saturday, September 22, 2007

Pancakes du jour-- Mango Baby Food

I make pancakes almost every Saturday morning. I like mixing up the batter and I revel in the sizzle of a puddle of batter hitting the hot buttered griddle. It may be that I am strange but I love pancake mornings. And my family likes to eat them so that works too.
Pancake batter is a great place to experiment with using up stray ingredients (the last scrape of jelly, rotting bananas, yogurt that's about to expire). Today's ingredient came from the lazy susan in our pantry that has been a holding place for baby food jars and baby crackers. Our little guy is a picky eater so we never managed to finish up those last pesky jars (not that we ever bought that many in the first place) of baby food before he started self feeding. So, other than assorted crackers and cookies (which will eventually make it into my purse for emergency snacks) we have three jars of baby food left: organic lentils and rice, pureed banana, and pureed mango.
The lentils and rice I'm going to add to a baby gift bag for one of hubby's co-workers that has a baby due next month. The pureed bananas will get fed to our son because he likes that. The pureed mangoes went into our morning pancake batter.

There was just a slight hint of mango-iness but I felt satisfaction in using up paid food that would otherwise sit in our pantry and go bad.


I don't have a picture to show you because our kitchen is a complete mess after yesterdays really busy day. Although, hubby -is- bugging me to post a picture of our holey pantry. It's still not where I want it to be so you'll have to wait a few more days.

No comments:

Google