Saturday, September 22, 2007

More Pantry Thoughts

I sent my husband to the grocery store for what I think is the last time before we leave for our vacation. He bought milk, bananas, eggs and vanilla ice cream for the French apple pie that big girl and I made this afternoon.
(the apples came from our school trip to an apple orchard yesterday)

I have been making a list of grocery items that will need replacing when I finally begin grocery shopping again in a few weeks.

This is the the list:

Corn meal
Canola oil
Brown rice
Savory (herb)
Graham Crackers


I'm pleased it's so short. Yeah, one of them is a convenience food but our little guy loves graham crackers and when they are a dollar a box I don't feel the need to figure out how to make them.

As I've been using up our convenience food I've had to be creative about replacement ingredients. I've been using melted margarine instead of oil in recipes without much noticeable difference. I've made vegetarian breakfast sausage with tvp and spices. Our powdered milk jug is always on hand for recipe cooking. I'm finally down to my last box of powdered milk so I may have to replace that in a few weeks too.
I'm doing a lot more scratch cooking and I've been enjoying it.
I think if anything other than a bit of a dip in our grocery store savings I've enjoyed the creativity it has inspired.

Does anyone have a cost breakdown on powdered milk? I normally buy the big box from Aldi but I'd be interested to see if it's really a good deal.

No comments:

Google