Friday, August 31, 2007

Balance and Rescuing dinner from the trash can

I'm liking this new balance of less spending and trying not to spend.
So, the hiatus didn't work as well as I hoped. But, it did work in some ways.
I thought carefully about each thing I bought and I am pretty sure I spent half as much in a week as I normally do. Especially where groceries are concerned.

Well, maybe I spent less. I bought twenty passes to our town's community center so I can start working out again. In the end I think it will actually save me money because I only have so much free time in a week and it will keep me out of a store for an hour.

And I've been doing my best to use up our food before it goes bad. So, we've eaten more creatively this week than our normal standard fare. We've had 'meatloaf' and soup with tvp, bread stuffing from bread that was on the verge of spoiling, and quiche made with farm eggs and powdered milk. Yesterday my girl and I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies from a mix in our pantry. There are holes sneaking into my pantry. And both of my freezers. I am pleased.

I'm going to continue my pantry challenge next week by only buying milk, eggs, and fruit, and preschool snacks again. It should be less than $20.00 for a stock up.

My 'free' time here is rapidly going as I have to leave to pick up my boy from daycare (urg.. a necessary evil for now) in ten minutes.
Better pick up the living room.
Kids and I are going out to play today.

No comments:

Google