Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Wal-Mart Commercial

One of our new channels is Sprout. It's a division of PBS but it has commercials for consumer goods unlike PBS which has 'sponsors' who get endorced through repetition. Sprout plays this Wal-Mart commercial where there's a nice suburban looking mom with a baby in a snugli and a pre-k'er walking alongside throughout the store.
First the Mom stops to grab some Huggies and some Huggies baby lotion. And she looks down to see her big kids has spilled grape juice on her shirt from her juice box. The child is wearing a jacket but Mom hightails it over to the kids clothing to pick out a new unsullied shirt for her daughter. A few seconds later Mom looks down to see that baby in the snugli has lost a bootie. Of course the next shot is of Mom going to the sock section to get new socks to replace the lost one.
And on the way out we see the big girl grab a stuffed animal out of a display bin and drag it behind her for Mom to buy. Then comes the announcer saying something like, "Wal-Mart is the place where Moms can get all their supplies for baby at the Wal-Mart price."

Now, I don't love Wal-Mart and I try not to shop their too often because I don't like the way that the company is run and because it seems like our local Wal-Mart is full of grouchy customers of questionable cleanliness and unfriendly clerks (go figure). However, I do shop there sometimes with a baby and a pre-k girl. For the sake of comparison we'll say that my son is still a little guy capable of and willing to be snuglied.
This is how my similar Wal-Mart experience would go:
Baby is in a snugli that I purchased from a garage sale for 2.00 that has already seen a lot of use from his older sister. I am searching through my coupons to find one that is the highest value/closest to expiration date for the package of Huggies Overnights. I bypass the baby products because I don't need the lotion. I still have a full bottle of Huggies lotion that I picked out of the grocery store clearance bin and used a coupon for a grand total of .80 Big girls spills a drink on herself (probably not a juice box since those are special treats that get doled out rarely.. we'll say it's a .25 pop from the Sam's cola machine outside because we do that occasionally.). I would zip up her jacket to hide the spill (unless it was a big spill then I'd take her to the bathroom and take off her shirt and then zip up her jacket putting her shirt in my purse to take home and launder).
When I notice baby's lost bootie I would retrace my steps to find it. If I couldn't find it then I'd take off the single bootie and let the child go barefoot until we got home. I can always hold their feet in my hands if it's cold outside.
As far as the grabbed toy out of the toy bin, with my child it wouldn't happen. We've taught her early that we only buy on special occasions and she accepts that. I let her look and touch toys (within reason) all she wants but they almost always go back on the shelf. If she did happen to grab a toy and I didn't see her do it I would make her put it back. That simple.

Now I now I could be more of a tightwad. I could bypass the Huggies Overnights (which are the only diapers that don't leak on us) for cloth diapers. I could skip the .25 pop. But, without those things there would be no Wal-Mart commercial.
Hmm, what a concept.

1 comment:

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

LOL! I agree - talk about out of touch! My husband and I always get a laugh out of that commercial.

Google