Sunday, July 22, 2007

Bits of joy... frugal and otherwise.

We've been having a good weekend.
Friday night we went out to eat at a Chinese buffet and then we drove downtown to the arch to see a free concert by one of our favorite musicians, Ani DiFranco.
That wonderful concert was followed by a fireworks show over the Mississippi river.
Then we drove our sleeping children home and tucked them in bed.
Saturday hubby finally got a few hours to try to take apart our laptop and see if he could fix it. Apparently not. The particular model that we have is prone to problems and it had been taken apart for repairs (by the Apple people) too many times.
We're looking at dropping 1500 on a new one. Not great but, the old one was a pain and we use a computer so much that it's almost necessary. So, there goes some money and a wanted purchase. Oh well.
Anyway, while he was working away on the laptop at the picnic table in the back yard the kids and I were out there too. Yesterday was a wonderful summer day when their was a cool breeze and it was sunny. In the shade it was perfect weather. So, we got out their sand table and filled up a blow up wading pool with some water. The kids played and got dirty while I watched happily and gathered some fallen limbs and sticks.
And I did something I've never done before. I got out our old Little Smokey bbq grill and barbequed up some veggie grillers for dinner. I burnt them a little on the bottom but, they were still edible. We had bbq burgers with the trimmings and a bowl of cherry tomatoes outside. It was very satisfying and I'm looking forward to doing it again. Without the burnt part.
My mom requested a trip to Red Lobster for her birthday (which is tomorrow). I didn't order the gift cards from our Discover cash back program quick enough. So, it looks like we'll be paying out of pocket. I love our Discover card for the cash back. I use it almost exclusively. The cash back becomes gift cards to give out for presents and the rare occasions when we are short of money, I can apply it to our bill that month.
So, after a nice breakfast of french toast, scrambled eggs with cheddar shreds, and veggie sausage I am relaxing with hubby's work laptop.
The hubby and kids are straightening up the toy room which is out of hand and I need to go sweep the kitchen floor and clean off the dining table.
I'm looking forward to going to the Global Foods store later. I'm hoping they have tvp because I am out and I do not want to fight the crowds at the Whole Foods.
Life is calling. Must dash.

No comments:

Google