Friday, May 4, 2007

Silence and the smell of bleach

My in-laws are coming tonight for a visit. It's a great opportunity to spend the day cleaning my much soiled house. Alone.
I don't mind cleaning. I really don't. Well, ok... I admit that I really don't like sweeping and mopping.. but, I already got that part out of the way. But, I really prefer to clean when no one else is home. I can't stop mid-dusting without getting grouchy. I need to accomplish my tasks in a timely fashion. And oh, how I am savoring the silence of our usually boisterous house. Add the smell of bleach from the freshly cleaned countertops and floor in the kitchen.... what a heady combination. I think the fumes are doing a little something to me.
Dear husband took the day off to visit the dentist and ferry the children to their gymnastics class, the bank, and to the health center to get reduced cost immunizations (our insurance doesn't pay for immi's or well child visits). His numbing shot from the dentist finally wore off which is too bad because he totally had the cutest pronounciations. The word assume became 'atchume'. This from my totally eloquent enunciating husband... highly amusing.
So, I'm savoring the moments. Thinking about the next task on the list:
vacuuming the family room. Then the living room... Cleaning off the kitchen table. Putting the linens back on the guest bed. Giving the upstairs a going over with the vacuum. Putting away the last load of laundry.
I can't decide whether or not I want to re-clean the toy room or whether I should clean up my 4 years old's toy mess in her room. I already made her bed and put away her laundry. Isn't that enough? Shouldn't she be old enough to pick up some of her own messes?
That is another blog unto itself. How do you make your children aware that Mom isn't a slave?

Well, I just took a short break to check my email and to look for freebies on wal-mart's site. I love Wal-Mart freebies.
So, I'm gonna put the laptop away and put the soundtrack to the Saint back on and get to vacuuming and dusting with my Flylady duster while I'm still alone. Alone with my bottle of bleach.
I feel invincible. I feel silly. That's the power of bleach.

No comments:

Google