Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Refrigerator Clean-out Menu. Save-A-Lot Produce

I've been pretty disappointed by our take out dinners and eating out lately. The food hasn't tasted as good as my own cooking and everything seems so greasy. Add that to the final bill after tip... up to 30.00 last weekend for a pizza, one pop and a appetizer.. and I just would rather cook.

I think it goes hand in hand with having the house in order too. Now, if you came to my house right now you might think it's messy.... kids toys here and there, a few bills and coupons scattered and other miscellaneous bits that need to find their way home.. but, it's clean. We've had visitors and house guests that precipitated a big clean.. and I've been managing to keep it up fairly well. I just scrubbed the bathroom and wiped up bits of dumped food from the floor underneath the high chair. I think I need to have the house managed before I feel like cooking. So, now I'm cooking.

Last night I made veggie 'meat'loaf, real mashed potatoes, gravy (from a packet), fresh rolls and salad with the leftover veggies from a McDonald's salad and from Grandma's garden produce she had brought us. And for dessert we polished off the cake that daughter and I made for mother's day.
It was good.

Tonight we're having veggie lettuce wraps (don't have a recipe. I'm flying by my pants). Last week I found a head of lettuce in good shape for .29 in the Save A Lot clearance bin. So, I'm using it up tonight with half a pack of tofu (not on sale but, cheap for .99 at Trader Joes), some peanuts (bought for one dollar after coupon/sale), some lime juice (fresh from sale limes from save a lot), our favorite soy sauce bought from the Chinese Grocery in Kansas City, and the last slices of clearance zuchini from Save A Lot (three medium zuch's for .29). I'm also making a side of rice in our very expensive Zojirushi rice maker that husband insisted I have when our old cheap one died. That is a whole 'nother blog but the thing actually sings Twinkle Twinkle little star to you when the rice is done. Silly!
I've also made a banana cream pie from a box of Nilla Wafers (bought on clearance from Big Lots for .99), a box of Sugar Free Vanilla pudding (.39 Save A Lot), two old bananas (not on sale at .45 per lb.) and a packet of dream whip on top. Yum!
I've also made my husband a loaf of banana walnut bread (recipe taken from the back of the baking mix at Aldi's.. that stuff is better than Bisquick) to take to work for "Food Day."

Tomorrow we're having spinach and mushroom lasagna (the spinach was free from Grandma's garden and the mushrooms were .29 on clearance at Save A Lot) with a side of asparagus from Grandma's garden.
Thursday I'm making a big calzone from any leftover mushrooms, spinach and ricotta with a healthy coating of Aldi's shredded mozzie.

I have been trying to get the pantry cleaned out more but, it seems like I keep finding good deals on stuff. Husband brought me home (along with my Mother's Day 2.00 rose bushes) cans of garbanzo and black beans for .35 a piece. It's about time I made another pot of beans from scratch and re-frozen them for quick dinners of beans and rice.

No comments:

Google