Thursday, May 3, 2007

Mother's Day Gifts

Baby and I took a quick spin through Dollar Tree after we dropped off his sister at preschool.
I managed to finish shopping for my mother-in-law's mother's day present.
It's not as cheap as it probably could have been, but, I did a slightly bigger present this year than I would do normally. She's been a big help to us in the past year by staying with our daughter when our son was born and then helping us in our move across the state. So, she deserved it this year for sure.

I bought a an elongated plastic flower pot instead of a basket because I did not like the selection of baskets and I knew she could use the pot.
Here's what I put in the flower pot:

An oven mitt and matching pot holders (1 dollar each- Dollar Tree)
A pretty kitchen towel to match the holders and mitt (1 dollar- Dollar Tree)
1 wool trivet that matches the other kitchen stuff (.33 Dollar Tree)
A box of raisinets (.80.. Walgreens)
Celestial Seasonings Decaf Green Tea with Mandarin (1.50 with sale/coupon)
A Charles Wysocki puzzle (bought used but in good condition at garage sale 1.00)
Super Sudoku puzzle book (1 dollar- Dollar Tree)
A package of marigold seeds (.25 Dollar General)
A nice card (.50 Dollar Tree)

So, for less than ten dollars I think I assembled a rather nice gift that I think she'll like and use.


I spent more on my own mom but I knew what she needed and what she didn't. That plus my mom never spends money on herself so she's easy for me to buy for.

I bought a small round metal tin on clearance at Dollar General for 1.25.
Inside of it I put Borghese Foundation and matching concealer bought on sale at Costco for 15.00.
A bag of Riesen Chocolates (1 dollar-- Dollar General)
A box of Goobers (.80 Walgreens)
Packet of Zinnia seads (.25 Dollar General)
Mothers Day card (1 dollar-- Dollar Tree)


Total is 19.05. I probably could have spent less but I knew she'd never buy herself the expensive make up and I know she'll love it.

I like the cards from Dollar General better than Dollar Tree but, in a pinch Dollar Tree has pretty nice cards too. There really is no reason to spend more than .50 on a greeting card. I don't know what Hallmark is thinking.
Although I admit I always look at the back of greeting cards and if I see Tender thoughts instead of Hallmark then I know... fellow tightwad.

No comments:

Google