Sunday, May 20, 2007

Garage Sale Finds & other Misc.

My little family spent a nice sunny Saturday morning cruising a nearby upscale neighborhood. We did find some good stuff. Hubby bought two decent sized rugs in really good shape for 8 bucks total. They are going into our unfinished basement aka bachelor pinball pad and extra play area. It's nice that he occasionally goes downstairs with the kids in tow so I can clean up after dinner in peace. The rugs will make a nice cushion for our little man to play and fall when he's chasing after his big sister.
The problem with 'nice' house neighborhoods is that people sometimes think their junk is worth more than it really is. But, there were enough people willing to make a deal that we got some nice stuff. I found a moret unitard for .75 for our daughter to wear to gymnastics. Sonoma tennis shoes for her in very good condition for .50 and two shirts she'll grow into for .50 apiece.
I gave her one dollar to spend and told her that when it was gone she was done shopping. She's only four so we're still working out the money value thing but I think making her responsible for spending her own money is a good start. And she's learning the value of a dollar so maybe she'll begin to equate garage sale merchandise as a good value and retail shopping will seem ridiculous. So with her one dollar she bought 4 little pet toys and a new in package toy story fishing game. She's been playing with them ever since.
I also found a new in package painting set (with retail sticker from Linens and Things of 14.99) for two dollars. She'll find it under the tree at Christmas. I love finding new stuff to give as gifts. I am able to give much nicer gifts too.
My mom is getting a New York Laundry sweatshirt that I for .10 and I bought another puzzle to save for my mother in law for .25.

After garage sales we went to Cicis for a pizza buffet. We had a coupon for a .99 kids buffet. So, for 11.50 for the four of us we had a nice relaxing meal before we were off to a thrift store.
We tried out a new thrift store that we'd never been to. I found a coupon for 20% off any purchase. The store we went into was loaded with used and new furniture. Some of it was nice but we just didn't need it. What we do want (not really need) is a king sized headboard. They had a full bedroom set with a king sized headboard for 450... 360 after coupon. But, we're still debating because we really don't need a full set and some of it is not in the best shape.

And then everyone was tired out but I had one more stop on the way home... a grocery store that doubles coupons and had good sales. Here's what I bought:

36 ounce Hunt's Ketchup on sale for 1.50 (used .25 coupon/doubled... price 1.00)
Pillsbury brownie dough (.55 coupon plus free after I send in rebate)
Prego spaghetti sauce (Free after rebate I sent off for)
Snyders of Hanover Pretzels (on sale for 1.50 and used .75 coupon)
Malt-o-meal hot cereal (used a coupon for a free product from the company)
Ajax grapefruit dish detergent (.20 coupon/doubled on sale for .69... price .29)

I can't remember what else but you get the point. We also are getting ten free digital prints with a deal we saw in the grocery circular. I'll pick them up next time I go.

And today is a yard work/house pick up day until Grandma and Grandpa get here and then we're all going to Cosco.
I still debate with myself if Cosco is really a frugal choice but, I can't get decent prices for Organic milk or veggie burgers anywhere else. You also can't beat their bakery prices unless you bake from scratch. And I'll be the first to tell you that I'm not the most gifted in decorating cakes.
So, I was more than pleased to take a huge sheet cake decorated with a princes and a frog to our daughters 4th birthday party for fifteen bucks.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I just discovered your blog and I enjoy hearing about your garage sale finds and other bargains. A frugal lifestyle is something I've recently become very passionate about. I have two little boys, ages 2 and 3 and I want desperately to be able to quit my part time job so I can take care of my family. I need all in the inspiration I can get.

Jenny's Vegcafe said...

Thanks Wendy! Especially for being my first comment. Frugality was at first a necessity for me after college when I had more debt than money. And now that we are a one income family it's still important but I'm more passionate about it. Seems weird to put the word passionate next to frugality but, there you have it.

Google