Monday, April 30, 2007

It's still cheaper than eating out.

Yeah, I admit it. I use convenience foods.

I bought a package of bread machine bread mix from the grocery store. I don't have a bread maker but I used the conventional method on the side. It was the same price as a loaf of pre-sliced. But, I was craving the taste of homemade. So, I've got a rising pan of bread dough sitting on the stove.
To accompany our bread, I'm making vegetable pot pie with a bag of morningstar vegetarian'chicken' strips. I'll be the first to tell you that these meat alternative foods are studpidly expensive. So, I always use coupons. I do the meat as a addition rather than the main dish trick too most of the time (the exception is the pot pie and when I make 'meat'loaf).
But, the pot pie is worth it. I use the bisquick (using Aldi brand baking mix) recipe for impossibly easy chicken pot pie.
And I found a jar of spiced apple rings in our pantry that have been forlornly sitting there for months. Time to get them out and try them.

And for dinner... a few Chips Ahoys from the on sale for dollar bag that my mom gave us yesterday.


So, not completely from scratch... but, homemade enough for me. And I don't have to tip anyone afterwards.

No comments:

Google