Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Orange-Cinnamon Loaf for Your Bread Machine.

Orange Cinnamon Loaf for the Bread Machine taken from Better Homes and Gardens Best Bread Machine Recipes

2/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup water
1 egg
1/4 margarine or butter cut into pieces
4 cups bread flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp orange peel
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp yeast

Makes a 2 pound loaf. If you want to cook it in your bread machine choose the white bread cycle.

Glaze recipe:
Stir together one cup of powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla and enough orange juice to make a glaze consistency. Drizzle over your cooled loaf.

Here's how I tweak this recipe for our own tastes:
When I don't have buttermilk I mix plain milk with a bit of orange juice. I substitute one cup of wheat flour for bread flour. I use freshly grated orange peel. I simply grate an orange into the bread loaf pan until my arm hurts or the orange is naked. It's less peel than called for but we don't like the entire amount anyway. I also reduce the salt a bit and increase the cinnamon.
I use one orange for the entire recipe with the pulp leftover for eating. Half of the orange juice goes into making buttermilk, the rind goes into the pan, and the other half helps make the glaze.

I put mine on the dough cycle and rise my bread in our oven with the light on. I make two small loaves but they don't last long. This is our favorite sweet bread.

No comments:

Google