Thursday, September 10, 2009

Making my own Rootbeer.

In February I bought a bottle of root beer concentrate on a whim. The no grocery shopping this week has left me desperate for a taste of cold soda.

This is the cost breakdown:

A recipe contains 3/4 cup of sugar, water, concentrate and some type of bubbly water beverage.

I bought a six pack of sparkling mineral water a year ago for $3. I used two bottles for a cost of $1. The concentrate bottle makes 8 recipes at a cost of .43 cents. I'll estimate the cost of sugar at .15 cents since I got a good deal on it. I spent a $1.62 to make about about a liter and a half of root beer. If you're buying the ready made stuff in the grocery store then it's definitely a rotten deal.

How does it taste?

It's not as carbonated as store bought but I think that's because the sparkling mineral water I bought doesn't have much fizz. It definitely has a nice clean taste to it. I like it better than the high fructose stuff because it doesn't feel like I'm coating my teeth with syrup. I think it would be delicious over vanilla ice cream.

I was happy to use up the mineral water that was laying in my pantry. And I got the joy of surprising Big Girl with homemade soda. (she said, "You can make root beer????")
Someday it will no longer seem weird to her that her mother makes spaghetti sauce, chocolate sauce, apple sauce, laundry detergent, and sandwich bread from scratch. Maybe she'll even start thinking store bought stuff is weird. I can only hope.

Now I plan on scooping up club soda when it's on a great sale.

No comments:

Google