Monday, May 19, 2008

Vacations in your backyard

Gas money is one reason alone for me to reconsider those long car trips to an exotic location. Throw in restaurant meals, hotel expenses, and activity fees and we could easily spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

I've been thinking about all of the activities that we could do in our own town. We're lucky to live close enough to St. Louis which has many attractions for families with little ones. My brain has been churning with how to fit all of this 'fun' in before school starts in the fall.

Here's what I've been thinking:

The Great Outdoors

Camping- our kids are finally old enough for a night or two 'roughing it' in our old tent. We're planning a test drive in our own backyard first.

Wild Bird Sanctuary and Lone Elk Park. These are close enough together that they are both easily done in one day.

Mastodon State Park- We took a picnic there last Saturday and had a great time. Besides the nature trails, picnic areas, and playground here are crystal clear streams that are shallow enough for wading and craw fish hunting. I already have a mental list of what to take next time so we can really enjoy our day. I also want to explore the museum with the kids and learn about the archaeological aspects of the park.

Cahokia Mounds- This would be a day trip but hubby and I have been talking about going for two years.

Kid Specific Fun-

The Butterfly House and Botanical Gardens. I've never been to the Butterfly house but I love the Botanical Gardens. The Botanical Gardens also feature a free concert series with free admission in the late p.m. each summer.

The Magic House- The admission can be steep but there are coupons. This is hours of fun for the little ones.

Grant's Farm- The admission can be pricey (as well as the food) but it's not a bad way to spend a day.

The Zoo- Admission is free but parking is not. Always a good choice. We just have to remember to pack our own food.

Purina Farms- It's free but you have to make reservations.

Science Center- Admission is free but you might have to pay for parking.

Splurging-

Six Flags- If we want to get crazy we can do this big amusement park for a day. With tickets going for $30-44 per person I think we might choose to skip it. Although the water park might be really tempting on those hot summer days.

Mostly for Mom & Dad

Soulard Farmer's Market- I haven't been yet but this would be a heavenly way for me to spend a morning with my family. The webpage even lets you know what's fresh (and local) and available and how much the going rate per pound is. I'm envisioning baskets full of ripe strawberries and asparagus and maybe a handmade soap if I'm feeling splurgy.

Bride the GrandparentsWe also might bribe the Grandparents with the hobby farm and pony to take the kids for a night so we can get away for a night at a hotel.

Live on the Levee Concerts- Bring some lawn chairs, a small cooler and be entertained. There's lots of grass for the little ones to dance and play on.



This page has more ideas and printable coupons for fun things to do in St. Louis.

I probably missed many more fun things to do in this short list. If you have any other ideas please post a comment.

4 comments:

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

FANTASTIC ideas. We're doing the same kinds of things this summer, more excursions close to home.

Leah said...

There is also places like Laumeier Sculpture Park, Anheuser-Busch Brewery Tour, Union Station, the Art Museum, Forest Park, The Boathouse, and even the Arch (you must pay to ride the tram). Hope that helps!

Rhonda said...

When I read the title, I thought you really meant things to do in your backyard - like a wading pool, or croquet or badminton or a barbecue.
Alas, our summer fun is probably going to take place mostly in our backyard.

We won't be traveling for fun this summer - paying those awful gas prices just takes away the fun.

Anonymous said...

This is a great blog! I found it because I happen to work on Live on the Levee - but I'm also a mom with two little kids so this is my world too. FYI, we are expanding the kids zone at Live on the Levee this year - the K-Town kids zone. The Magic House, SCOSAG, dancers, inflatable bouncing things, all kinds of free stuff to do every evening from 6-8 p.m. Hope you can make it some night. My kids love it.

Google