Sunday, May 18, 2008

The downsizing daydream.

I like my house. I like my neighborhood. But I'll be honest and tell you that when we were moved across the state for hubby's promotion, we bought up. I don't regret the decision totally even though there are things that I don't like about my smaller version of a Mcmansion.

But there are times when we're driving through a neighborhood with smaller, older houses when I daydream about what it would be like to downsize. I think about how much room we'd really need to house the stuff we couldn't part with. I think about how much faster and easier it would be to pay off our mortgage. I think about putting out a clothesline or a compost pile without upsetting the homeowners association.

With a few yet unpacked boxes in the garage and many projects that have been started and planned for our current house there's no way we're moving anytime soon. But, if I had to do it over again those smaller, cheaper houses would be so much more appealing.
As it stands now, hubby and I are already planning on downsizing as soon as Little Guy leaves the nest. He daydreams about a one or two bedroom in the city with one of those rooms being an arcade/video game center. I daydream about a little house with a postage stamp backyard with a small vegetable garden, a clothesline, and a compost bin.

No comments:

Google