Tuesday, May 27, 2008

False Economy and Selective Squeemishness


This youtube clip of "The Cheapest Man in America" shows him squeezing ketchup packets into a big bottle. Sure, it's cheap. But, it's also a lousy way to spend your time. I don't throw my extra ketchup packets out either. I just save them in a container in the fridge door and use them as necessary. Today was one of those days as I had just used the last squeeze of my free after rebate ketchup for our Veggie Meatloaf. I used four packets to decorate the top. That took about five minutes and I still have packets left over to pack into hubby's lunch box.
What is the "The Cheapest Man in America" doing with take out ketchup packs anyway?
Btw, he also separates his two ply t.p. onto two rolls. This to me is truly a waste of time and energy. If you want to use less t.p.- then just use less. Period. He'd save more money by finding something useful to do with his time rather than squeezing condiments and rerolling t.p.
Just because something seems cheap does not mean it makes sense. How much of your time are you wasting in pursuit of saving a dollar?


These apples are an example of what's been happening in my house lately. Each child wants their own apple. Neither child wants to eat the whole thing. I'm sick of throwing away half eaten apples. This honey packet was an indulgence for the kids after Little Guy came trotting up to me with it after he swiped it off of the counter. I let each kid have a taste and then I set it aside. For dessert tonight each kid is getting a bowl of stewed apples flavored with their leftover honey. I'm sick of the waste.
For me re-using their apples is ok because:
1. It's their germs.
2. The boiling will kill the germs.
Don't worry. If you ever come to my house to eat I promise not to feed you previously enjoyed food. Unless you want me to.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sometimes it just depends on how much I enjoy an activity. I really like hanging laundry and baking bread, so those are easy to justify. :) I would NOT enjoy squeezing ketchup packets out. Ew.

Rebecca said...

This post made me smile. And I agree - time is money.

Love the idea with the apples :)
R

Red said...

As time consuming as it it, we have resorted to chopping our fruit. We cut out the seeds and there is hardly any wasted, and if you compost, then none has gone to waste.

My children are older and have learned to waste little unless they want to feel the wrath of mom. The quiter I get, the more they need to worry.

I too keep our little packets and use them in a pinch, whihc is a lot more these days.

Google