Thursday, April 17, 2008

Coke, Velveeta, and Library Fines

The $30 grocery challenge came to an end today. A spur of the moment trip to the grocery store to procure cans to pay for my library fines (all on Dave Ramsey's "More than Enough" book which I really liked) ended with me filling a cart with more than I intended to buy.

Two cans of generic beans for the library fine sounds good.
Canola oil discounted to $1.49- sure, since I'm almost out. Mild Taco seasoning on sale? Well, I do have a whole pot of plain black beans to use up. Applesauce in individual containers? The kids love them and I have a coupon. Lite Velveeta- well, it's cheaper per pound than real cheese and it makes great bean dip. A 12 pack of Coke on sale- it's my greatest weakness. Store brand tortilla chips- need 'em for the dip. A jar of sweet pickles that Big Girl has been asking me for- why not? I have a coupon. Organic apples and bananas? We need fruit. Reduced fat shredded cheese- I have a great coupon and it would be so great on a bean burrito. Ground mustard- well, I didn't have any and didn't even know I needed it until I started doing more scratch cooking. I bought the cheapest container. Dole Fruit Juice blends- oh, it sounded so good, on sale and I even had a coupon. Western French Dressing is being discontinued and it's on sale? Well, I'd better get the big bottle. Vegetarian 'turkey' lunch meat? At least it will keep us eating at home. Would I like to donate a dollar to the American Heart Association? Sure. Why not?

Two free kids cookies, a sample of kettle cooked chips, two squirmy kids sitting too close to each other in the fancy rocket shaped cart, a wind blown pale faced mom who didn't have time to put make up on this morning because her two year old is sick and needed love and attention, a quick trip to to the library to return my overdue stuff and pick up some much needed stuck at home with a sick boy diversions such as videos and books, and here I am... $37.52 after coupons lighter.

Look what I talked myself into. Granted it will all get eaten and it's not like I spent hundreds of dollars on jewelry or furnishings that we don't need. But, it's so easy to snowball one or two little purchases into ten, fifteen or twenty when we just let go a little bit.

The grocery envelope sits crumpled forlornly in the bottom of my purse. It was emptied a few days ago when the credit card machine was not working at Goodwill. Now there's just a handful of change in there to put into my garage sale wallet.

Could I have spent only $30 for groceries this month. The answer I believe is yes.
What I lacked was planning, forethought and 'gazelle intensity'. If I truly concentrated all my efforts on my grocery shopping plan I would have packed a lunch for the day that we spent at the Toyota dealership. I would have reheated something from the freezer for dinner after those long busy days instead of ordering out.
I'm disappointed a little but I think we did save some money this month anyway.
I still have a list attached to the refrigerator of stuff to buy next month. My pantry is still full of good fuel to cook with. And I never would have made English muffins from scratch if I weren't fueled by my challenge.

It was worth a shot this month. Who knows.. maybe in a few months when life is less crazy it will be worth it again.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Don't be too hard on yourself. If you spent $37 even though your goal was $30, $37 is still an amazingly low figure. I think you did great.
Just keep at it.

My weekly goal for houshold spending is $100 a week, but I am averaging $110.

I would prefer to be at my goal but I am pretty proud that I have stayed so close and have some pretty good stockpiles built up.

Google