Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Book Review: Have a Natural Christmas 1980

This small book is filled with simple ideas for homemade Christmas presents and extending a simpler holiday so you can get more joy out of the season.
There are simple instructions for making scented sachets, needlepoint stockings, checkers sets, and for making a wooden doll house that looks a lot like the one I used to have.

I'm all for a more joyous holiday season where how much money you spend (or save) is not the main goal. However, what draws me to this book are the simple yet delicious recipes. I haven't tried any yet (but will do so soon). But, I'm looking forward to making John's Fritter Batter, scratch corn bread, vegetable chili, apple and raisin dressing, wheat germ bread, and simple onion soup.

Here's a recipe for whole wheat pie crust:

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup oil
4 tbsp. ice water

Mix with a fork until a ball is formed. Press into a greased 9 inch pan making a fluted edge on the outside. Prick with a fork. Fill and bake.


I found this little gem at the Goodwill on our last shopping trip.
You can see what it looks like here. Apparently, Rodale press published this yearly. I do not know if it's still being printed. They are definitely worth a look if you find one at a yard sale or a thrift store.

No comments:

Google