Wednesday, January 9, 2008

What's For Dinner: Experimental Vietnamese Tofu Dinner


Yesterday I had planned on making a Vietnamesy stir-fry with some tofu and cabbage but the day didn't go as planned. Instead I ordered in Pizza Hut- it was one of those days. Around here (and probably in many homes with small children) the hours between 4-6 pm are known as 'crappy hour'. You know... when the kids are climbing the walls, you're tearing your hair out and you're lucky to get dinner on the table. Big Girl briefly suggested that we eat my homemade granola for dinner and I almost took her up on it. In hindsight it would have been a lot cheaper than Pizza Hut but I'm trying to conserve milk so I don't have to run to the grocery store until tomorrow.

Anyway, the forlorn chopped and ready tofu and cabbage got tossed into the crock pot this afternoon on top of a pile of rice, carrots, seasonings (bouillon, cilantro, salt, pepper, sesame oil, soy sauce, lime juice, and ginger). and water. I'm hoping it comes out okay but if not I'll pull out some of our extra pizza leftovers.


** update- Well, this wasn't a hit and not a complete miss. We did get a meal out of it but Hubby begrudlingly choked it down and begged me not to make him take it for lunches. The cabbage and rice came out too mushy. Oh, well, now I know.**

No comments:

Google