Friday, January 4, 2008

A healthier start

Well, it's the New Year and I guess it's that time when everyone starts to reassess their diets and health anyway. For me it's just that the tin of holiday fudge is almost empty and I want to jumpstart our grocery budget by forgoing junk food.

Two of my favorite bloggers Bye, Bye, Pie! (formerly of Bye,Bye,Buy) and Vegan Ruthie have inspired me to re-think my previous purchasing decisions in the grocery store. Vegan Ruthie has been showcasing her lunch packing talents lately and I'm jealous.
So, today with a planned trip to the regular grocery store to fill my prescription I stalked the aisles in search of healthier alternatives to snacks. I also perused the produce aisle in search of healthy new fruits and veggies for my family.
It was interesting but I see why people say buying health food (especially organically) is too expensive. I ended up buying fresh asparagus, a head of green cabbage, a bag of organic apples, an organic avocado, and a carton of organic grape tomatoes. For the snack I bought some cucumber dill dairy spread, roasted soy nuts, whole wheat crackers, and low fat soy milk. I don't drink milk. Before kids my husband and I used rice milk for cereal and cooking. But, I need something for myself to make a low-fat smoothie or to put in my coffee. I also need to bulk up my protein because the bulk of my diet is from junky carbs and I just don't feel all the good because of it. I also bought the requisite veggie sausages and 'meat' supplies. I'd like to try my hand and making my own vegetarian 'meat' products though to reduce sodium and cost. Vegan Ruthie, any pointers or recipes for me?

There was nothing new or unusual about the stuff I bought. I didn't go out on a limb to try something new (although the artichokes were tempting. Is 2.00 a good price for an artichoke? I doubt it.). I am not sure what to do with the cabbage. I think I'll shred half of it and make some Asian style dressing for it. The rest I'll probably chunk and put in a pot of soup.
The asparagus will be washed, tossed with salt, pepper and olive oil and roasted for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees. I'm not a big fan of Rachel Ray, but, YUMMO. This was one of her recipe ideas and boy howdy it sure is a great way to get my hubby and Big Girl to eat asparagus.

It's a start anyway.

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

Jenn ~

I'll work on a post on homemade mock meats. :-)

Have you ever tried stir fried cabbage? Search my blog for Emmy's Bean Curd and Cabbage. It is SO GOOD. Also, I want to try slaw with a light peanut sauce. :) I love cabbage but it gives us a lot of gas so I limit it to twice a week when we don't have work the next day :-)

Roasted chunks of cabbage (just like the asparagus you described) are also good. :)

Ruthie

Google