Sunday, January 20, 2008

Disposal Diaries & Leftover Dinners

Today I finally got around to tossing the myriad of old refrigerated leftovers. The plastic storage boxes were overtaking my fridge and something had to be done. There was a bittersweetness to saying goodbye to the food that had been forgotten for too long. Goodbye to the rice pudding made with my egg nog leftovers. It was really good on that cold morning with a side of toast topped with Dickinson's spiced pumpkin butter. The oven baked potato that I topped with homemade cheese sauce and steamed broccoli was hard to throw out too. I love baked potatoes but somehow never got around to reheating for a lunch. I was only slightly sad about the Vietnamese tofu crock pot dinner that just didn't come out quite right. I thought I would stand my ground and eat the dinner that hubby proclaimed not good enough for leftovers; but even I have my standards. Tossing out the food I made for my family reminded me of how much I love taking care of them. Every meal I make for them is made in love. I also got a good feeling about once again seeing some clear shelf space if I don't consider the waste.

Hubby suggested (for the umpteenth time) that we have leftovers for dinner- the fresh ones that aren't growing mold yet. I finally obliged. Dinner will be a strange mix of olive pizza, tofu ramen soup, a peppery breakfast burrito, banana bread, and breadmachine bread from my new Breadman Bread machine. But we will all be fed and happy- grazing on our refrigerator gleanings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have 4 kids. When we clean out the fridge I call it "Pieces Parts". My 7 year old son said last night, " I love it when we have Pieces Parts cause I get to choose!"

Gotta love the leftovers :)

Google