Thursday, January 24, 2008

Cooking with Fungus- Making a 'Scratching' Cake


Today my Sweetie and I celebrate our 11th anniversary. With our pantry void of cake mixes (a combination of no great sales and wanting to make more of our food from scratch) I knew I'd have to pull out a recipe and some measuring cups.

Baking is an excellent activity for Big Girl and I to share while her little brother naps. Today though we had a spectator. My daughter has adopted a small grey rock from our yard as her new son/playmate. There is absolutely nothing special or wonderful about this rock except that she loves it. She named it Fungus. To my chagrin/annoyance she also gives it a bath in the bathroom sink at least twice a day. So, I held my tongue when she proceeded to place him in every clean cup and bowl that we had just set on the table for our recipe. There probably isn't a cleaner rock in the county.

Well, while we were mixing and creaming the flour, shortening and butter her Daddy called us. I let her talk to him while I beat the sugar together.

"Hi, Daddy. We're making a Scratching Cake. A Chocolate Scratching Cake! But, you don't get any until after dinner."


As you can tell- we're fairly new to the make it from scratch game. But, it gave her Daddy and I a good chuckle.

1 comment:

Google