Friday, November 30, 2007

Blessing others- The end of an era

The first house that my Sweetheart and I bought was a 45 year old, 800 square foot bungalow (no basement/no garage/ just a small hot attic not big enough to stand up in). Oh, it was a cute house. And we crammed our collected piles of junk (this was before Flylady) into it and managed to make it a happy but cluttered home. We lived there when we mourned the loss of our first baby. And it was to this house that we joyfully brought our little girl home from the hospital. It was small but we were happy there. We had no floorspace for a Christmas tree so I bought a cheap 4 foot tall one from the Family Dollar and set it on top of our tv in the living room.

This was our Big Girl frolicking in our bed. My how she's grown.



Anyway, I've been hanging onto this small tree for four years thinking that we might need it again just in case we have to have a step down in house size. It's always a thought in the back of my mind how much money we could save if we chose to live in a small older house. If we were still in our old 800 sq. foot house we'd mostly likely have our mortgage close to paid. But, now our family has increased from two to four and with it the amount of stuff. So, I'm letting my tree go.
Someone on Freecycle wants it to give to a family with small children and no Christmas tree. So, I'm sending it out the door with some extra decorations and the small porcelain angel that only fits on this tree. I'm sad to see it go but glad that it's going to make some child's Christmas a little brighter.



It just gives me pause to think about how when I was in that small house, just starting out with my husband and beginning our family that all I could do was think about getting to the next step. I wanted the big house in a nice neighborhood with a nice car, etc. etc. And now that I have those things- I think more fondly of our humble beginnings and miss it.

No comments:

Google