Monday, October 15, 2007

Some things are just worth an extra dollar.

Big girl had a hard day at preschool today (I was the helper parent today so I can verify this)-- two playground ouchies and a big head smack with a doorknob on the way to the bathroom. She's ok with just a few war wounds but she was feeling a bit demoralized.
Luckily, I know her currency.
Although I was going to wait until Wednesday when the pumpkins at Aldi go on sale for 1.99, I thought today might be a good day to go ahead and get one anyway. We paid an extra dollar. But, the smile on her face and the passionate, "Oh Mommy, that certainly is the most handsome pumpkin in the whole world" as I hefted the dirty but otherwise good pumpkin into the cart were completely worth it.

Here she is in the backyard giving the dirty Mr. Pumpkin (aka Baby) a good scrub right as it started to sprinkle.



** Another positive thing from our trip to Aldi: On the way to the cart return Big Girl found a few pennies and a nickel and asked if she could keep them. Without thinking I said, "Sure, we'll put them in your piggy bank when we get home." Then she said, "What about this money?" and pointed down. On the ground where she was pointing was a bunch of twenties. Obviously someone had just dropped a pile of grocery money on their way into the store. I told her that we had to go back into the store and find someone to give the money to. And the lady who had dropped it had already told the cashier that she had lost her money. Boy was she glad when I handed it back to her (with her few pennies and nickels on top). She thanked me for being honest and I got to teach my Big Girl a lesson about doing unto others. ; )
I guess it's hard to explain to a four year old that a stray penny is ok to keep but piles of money are not. Anyway, it was nice to have her help with doing a good deed.

No comments:

Google