Sunday, October 21, 2007

Money guilt and frugality

It seems as thought lately I've been writing a lot about the stuff I've been buying. And it does seem like a lot of stuff to me too. Like spending all of that money on hubby's work jeans and pants. There's always a reason for it and I don't feel like I'm sharing the whole picture.

First of all, it's impossible to find good clothes for my sweetie at thrift stores and garage sales. After multiple arguments with him over my 'finds' I've given up and we both decided to get rid of all the pants that he was always complaining about that didn't fit... too tight, too short ..etc. So, now he has a supply that I hope lasts at least two or three years and I don't have to hear anything about it anymore.

What you don't see is that my son is in his sister's hand me down clothes today.. clothes I bought on a clearance rack or from a thrift store for her four years ago. That the sandwich bread I ate for lunch had a big .39 sticker on it. That most of the make up in my make up bag comes from freebies at Wal-greens. Most of our big purchases are thought out carefully and with the best savings in mind.
For example: we've been planning on a fence and a play set in the backyard for over a year since we moved in. And only now are we finally paying for them and putting them in. I am so excited that our fence in coming soon and I'll be able to turn Big Girl loose in the backyard to play and watch her while I do chores. And someday when we do decide to get another dog, we are prepared.

We do take spending our money seriously. Hubby comes from a family of ultra black belt frugal parents. I grew up clipping coupons with Mom (combing rebates and triple coupon shopping trips to another town), garage sale shopping for toys and clothes, and even an occasional dumpster diving foray. On my first 'date' with my husband I brought coupons in my purse to give him and for our dinner we shared a loaf of .50 cent French bread and bought two cans of .25 vending machine pops to go with it.
I don't write about the first years we were married when we were in debt (combined total 25 G) and we struggled to pay it off. That the first house we bought was a 850 square foot bungalow that we were renting and it was the most house we could afford (how I miss that house.. it was so cute!). You are catching us at our most prosperous time in our lives (so far) even though we are a one income family. We are on the upswing and I like to think a big part of that is the years of coupon clipping, doing without lots of frivolities, and second hand shopping.

So, just in case you were wondering why I think I'm frugal... there it is.

4 comments:

Ruthie said...

Jenny ~

I love that you labeled this post "Ranting" LOL!

Listen, I DON'T think you portray yourself as a spendthrift. You never say "Ah, this week I found a Prada bag for only $200!" You are definitely frugal, no doubt.

I think the lessons you're teaching your children about frugality are great! :)

Tread Softly said...

I know what you mean about men and thrift stores. I'm lucky that Darling refuses to shop anywhere else, but he is hard to fit at 6 ft, 150 lbs. To make things worse, he will do his best to get out of the store without visiting a dressing room, so half the time his pants are too short or too baggy (yet conveniently perfect for me:D)

A time comes when spending more for better quality products becomes financially possible, and you should be proud, not guilty, for having reached that point.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Great post Jenny. Jeans at thrift stores? Now THAT is an oxymoron (like you said). :)

And I get how you missed your cute little first house. What a little perspective can do!

jonceramic said...

Yeah, it's not that I don't appreciate her shopping, it's that I just don't fit into anyting but XXLT's for shirts anymore.

And, my Jeans aren't a normal size either (at least Kohl's still carries my size - I never think of 6'2" as big, but I guess it is.)

But, 2 pairs of work khakie, and 4 pairs of jeans for $150 only comes out to $25 a pair of pants. And with the $30 gift card, that's just about as cheap as you can get new clothes.

(Miss you too, baby.)

Google