Thursday, October 11, 2007

A kinder, gentler, more frugal lasagna


Lasagna is known to be a time consuming and expensive food. I guess it is if you take time to precook your noodles and you buy the ricotta and special meats that go in it.

Eh... I don't have the time or money for that and right now with my limited pantry I don't have the means either.

I wanted to make lasagna for tonights dinner but our opened box of noodles only yielded four lasagna noodles. I didn't let that get me down. I broke them up into pieces and added half a box of whole wheat rotini for the noodle portion of my lasagna casserole.

Yes, I guess technically it's not lasagna but I'll take it.

I did buy a container of cottage cheese at Wal-Mart today so I would have a creamy texture to it. I only had half a jar of spaghetti sauce so I added a can of tomato sauce. I mixed in one egg, half a bag of mozzarella cheese, three cloves of garlic, two cups of torn fresh spinach, 1/4 cup of veggie crumbles, 1/4 of fresh Parmesan cheese, the sauce and half the container of cottage cheese and called it done.

No comments:

Google