Thursday, October 11, 2007

Credit Card Souring... a little

You might have noticed that I am quite partial to my Discover credit card (which we pay off every month) for it's 1% cash back incentives. I use the money to get gift cards for friends and family throughout the year. You can also use the money towards your balance. Just recently they have changed the policy so that you can't get a check for your cash back amount anymore.

Well, part of my family lives in a small town where the nearby retail shopping is limited. That means that gift cards to Sears, Olive Garden, Bed Bath and Beyond and Footlocker are not helpful. I still have to go shopping in a regular store for them. Silly me thought that I could cash out my reward and use that money (envelope system style) for the remainder of my gifts. No go. Too late. No more checks from discover card.

Of course I realize that I can put the same amount towards my card balance and then take that amount out of my checking account and it amounts to the same thing. Except to me it's not the same. It doesn't feel like I've earned anything.

No comments:

Google