Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Mc-Wal-Monster got me...

Today we had both of our gymnastics classes. In order to get to gymnastics we have to drive right by the Wal-Mart. I timed my leaving for gymnastics so that I only had a maximum extra 15 minutes to get through the store. With two kids. So, that meant no dilly dallying. I had to get my stuff (those retainer cleaner tabs) and go.
I rationalized that I was already there and it would cost more money in gas and waste time to make a special trip later in the week. I was right.
I went through the garden shop thinking it would save time and reduce impulse buys.
First off big girls sees mums and asks if she can have one. I'm a sucker for garden plants and have been meaning to get some fall flowers. So, I let her pick out one of the two dollar plants.
We made it out of the store in fifteen minutes and just under $5.00. I feel ok about that.

But, then on the drive home (silly me didn't eat lunch) I was hit with, "Mommy, can you make me some french fries when we get home?" I do have a handful of frozen fries in the freezer. I thought about this... and how long it would take to heat up the oven for a handful of fries. And drove to McDonalds for our standard cheeseburger happy meal sans the burger patty. There are always enough fries in a happy meal to share between the three of us. Anyone else notice that the small fry has grown in size? I ate the burger (after I added a nuked boca burger) and shared with the little guy. He loves burgers too. The kids got the drink.

I haven't reminded her and it seems big girl seems to have forgotten that Happy Meals come with a junky toy. I've been hoarding them. I think I'll take them with us on our long car trip to the beach to keep the kids entertained.

2 comments:

Ruthie said...

I *hate* to be the vegetarian police like this, I know a lot of people are vegetarian in some ways but not others, etc, but officially the fries at McDonald's are not veggie-friendly because they contain beef extract. This may not matter to you, I don't know, but you may want to consider wendy's, whataburger or burger king.

~ a fellow fry lover :-)

Jenny's Vegcafe said...

I looked this up and turns out that you're right.. it does contain a bit of 'natural beef flavor'. I'm not sure what that means but I'm not worried about it. In general we don't eat pork, chicken, lamb, beef, etc. But, I'm not too worried about the very occasional ingestion of a minute particle of a cow. For us it's a gray area. It's just what we're comfortable with doing.
But, thanks for letting me know anyway Ruthie! ; )

Google