Sunday, August 19, 2007

Preschool Starts Tomorrow

I've got the kids in bed early tonight because I know it's going to be a busy morning.

My big girl starts preschool tomorrow. This is her second year of preschool. She's pretty excited and not worried at all because she has the same teacher and most of her classmates from last year will be in class with her.

I spent about half an hour this morning looking through her clothes for the right outfit. It is really tempting to send her to K-8 at her preschool because they just started doing school uniforms this year. Even though our school district is pretty good. Even though it would cost a lot of money.
Because I hate the feeling that I should be dressing my children in clothing strictly from "Talbots" like some of the other Moms do. I was listening to two mothers discuss dressing their children at the end of the year preschool picnic. And I found out two things: 1. It's important to buy for and dress your children in nice clothes so they are presentable. 2. And if you don't do this then it is a bad reflection on you.
Now, none of these women are particularly snotty. In fact I like most of them. I just can't spend my money like that when I feel that:
1. I dress my child in nice clothes and she is always clean and presentable.
2. After you wash the clothes once no one can tell they aren't 'new'.
3. It's silly to buy new what you can get used for 1/4 the price.
4. We're a one income family so saving bits of money here and there is my job.

It's a struggle for me because while I realize that I'm being silly because the cost of the clothing isn't that important... I don't want my child to feel like what they have isn't as good.
Does anyone else know what I mean?

I look at labels when I shop. I grab up the Old Navy, Gap, Children's Place and Talbots when I see it. I just can't help thinking that someone will -know- it is second hand. And a tiny part of me still cares about that. But, I'm fighting it and I am trying hard to make sure that my daughter doesn't ever think that what she has isn't good enough. Because it is and because she is. She's worth every penny that I've ever saved by not spending all that money on nice new clothes.
Every penny and more.

No comments:

Google