Tuesday, July 10, 2007

It's been awhile since I've blogged. Our personal laptop is still broken as we haven't had time set aside for hubby to fix it.
Right now he's out with the kids taking a walk and I'm supposed to be cleaning up the dinner dishes. I'll get to that in a minute.
It's been kinda crazy around here.
Hubby and I had a great time in Florida two weeks ago. We went to the movies three times. That is something that we used to do a lot of before we had kids. We loved going to a matinee or to the drive in and smuggling in our own drinks/snacks. This time though we did pay for one small popcorn and a drink and there was no smuggling.
I'm not sure how ethical it is.. but, I hate how much movie popcorn costs.

I've been itching to get out my Tightwad Gazette again and start reading. I've been thinking about making some cuban bread. (note: buy yeast) And I need more ideas on healthy snacks for the kids. It seems the only things they will snack on are crackers, cookies, popcorn, cheese, and certain fruits.
I've been tivoing a show about a family of ten- Jon and Kate plus 8 -- that really makes me want to be organized and thrifty. I love the episode where Kate goes grocery shopping with her calculator and coupons. Now, I don't do the calculator part. Mostly because I have two little kids in tow and I need to get in and out as quickly as possible. But, I almost always have a list and coupons. I guess in some ways taking children saves us money because I don't stay in the store as long and I want to go to the store less frequently.
I also like to see how Kate runs through her daily round while taking care of six two year olds and two 6 year olds. She has to be so organized. I like seeing what she puts on their plates for lunch. I have been working on feeding my big girl better. Today she had sliced tomatoes from grandma's garden, half of a veggie chick patty, banana slices, three pickles, and a dollop of ketchup. So, not too bad. The baby is so picky though. He really only likes veggie burgery stuff, bananas, and cheerios. So, that's what he had for lunch.

We've been blessed by seeing the in-laws frequently too. They give abundantly from their garden and chickens. We get fresh eggs and produce. Right now I've got fresh corn, onions, tomatoes, peppers, and broccli sitting in my fridge. I need to make sure they get eaten before they go bad. We're still working on eating up the last clearance produce from my last Save A Lot adventure.
Tonight we had veggie pizza. I used a Save a Lot crust mix, a bag of pizza cheese (save a lot), six clearance mushrooms, half a clearance pepper, a handful of fresh spinach, the last bit of an onion from the fridge, the bottom of a Prego spaghetti sauce jar (bought on sale for 1.00) mixed with a can of tomato sauce (Aldis) and spices and a sprinkle of sugar, and three or four tablespoons of Morningstar sausage crumbles. It came out really good.
For dessert we had Marble Cake. I used a Duncan Hines cake mix on sale for .50, a can of Diet Cherry Coke, and half a container of Betty crocker frosting (on sale for 1.00). I think it's a Weight Watchers recipe. You take a box of cake mix and mix it with a can of diet soda... no other ingredients... and follow the box directions.
It doesn't taste quite as good as regular mix but, it's faster and easier.

I haven't gotten much free lately. I did call Huggies today to ask for coupons because we are running low on Overnight diapers. I hope I get some good ones.
My boy hasn't had one cloth diaper on his butt even though I have a whole trash can full of cloth diapers and supplies. I feel guilty about it. I do. But, I just really never have liked cloth diapers and my husband refuses to help diaper if I use them. Oh well. There's always ebay or freecycle if I never get around to using them.
Well, that about wraps things up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here for us if you go to the movies in the mall. You can bring in any food you purchased in the mall. So you can avoid the "movie" prices.

Google