Saturday, June 9, 2007

Trading my old goals for new ones

I think I've been living in the zone of needing to pay off debts instead of the zone where I'm working towards saving and investing. For some reason my brain just does not get excited about the investing and saving part. I guess the rewards of saving aren't as immediate as the joys of finally having a credit card or loan paid off. I am good at paying off debts. Am I good at investing? NO. My brain shuts off when I hear the words mutual funds, dividend or stocks.
This is my new stumbling block and something that my husband wants me to work on so we are working toward retirement rather than paying off student loans and credit card debt and debts to parents. Other than paying off our mortgage (which is part of the saving plan.... pay off the mortgage in half time) I just don't have much of an idea of what to do to start saving. And the idea of paying someone else to handle our money (and perhaps they do it poorly) just irks me.
I suppose I should read some Suze Orman or Bob Brinker.
Should I check out a retirement for dummies book?
Anyone have any suggestions?

No comments:

Google