Monday, November 3, 2008

Fumbling at Frugality & Survival Mothering


Sigh.

The time change has me upside down today.

Add decompressing after house guests , beginning to toilet train the two year old and things are wacky around here.

Being frazzled and tired makes my wallet droop.

Little Guy and I dropped into Linens & Things to check out their going out of business sale. Most of the store is still only at 10-20% off, so no great bargains. But, I need a 10 x 10 picture frame and Target had none in stock. The only 10 x 10 black frame that I found was a bathroom wall art with a scratched up frame for 20 bucks (after sale). And since the store is being liquidated there is no room for damaged goods mark downs. Like a dummy, I bought the scratched up picture thinking it would be an easy fix with sharpie and my own picture.
I just spent the last 20 minutes trying to pry out heavy staples and thick matting.
And the sharpie cover is glaringly obvious so I need to buy black spray paint. Which makes my $20 frame even more expensive and labor intensive. I wish I would have just went to the Target photo department and bought their frame.

Then we picked up Big Girl from school and just thinking about making lunch made me want to cry. It's a bad thing when you're too tired to smear pbjs on bread.
We went to Bob Evans (loving referred to as Slob Evans around here- little kids and pancake syrup, you know) for lunch. The kids dumped syrup over all of their food- including scrambled eggs. Then proceeded to only lick the syrup off of their plates, clean out the butter spread, and eat my crackers and fries. So much for a well balanced meal. I do have to say that they stayed quiet and didn't bother anyone while they happily munched on corn syrup and starch.

Two potty accidents and one successful #2ing and I'm ready for my nap.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Don't be too hard on yourself.
Taking care of little ones takes lots of energy - they will grow up fast- but on those really hard days, just do what you gotta do to make it through the day.

and I hope your son's green marker was a washable marker.

Google