Monday, November 17, 2008

Enjoying the holiday season without the expense.

Little Guy and I stopped by Wal-Mart after Big Girl's school drop off this morning. I had a fist full of coupons and a few things on my shopping list.
Yesterday I used our last Vitamin C tab trying to fight off the yuck that's creeping up my throat.
So, I bought a twin pack of those.
(Nature Made vitamins is a favorite since I almost always have a coupon and you can type in the code on the bottle for rewards. If you haven't done so, you might want to clean out your medicine cabinet and see if you have any codes you haven't typed in. I've amassed enough for a $5 coupon- but I'm holding out until I get a free product coupon.)

The Christmas trees and paraphernalia were already out and on display. Oh, I was tempted to start filling my cart with goodies to take home and wrap. But, I ended up only buying small juice bottles (with coupon) to go into a sort of 72 hour car kit for gifts. There's no way that anyone could look in my cart and think that I was doing a little holiday shopping. But, that's often what happens when you are trying to save money.

I took Little Guy through the holiday stuff because we both like to look at the holiday decor. The $2 ornaments were calling me but I held back. Our ornament box in the basement is full to bursting and I can only imagine the next few years of elementary school crafts will only add to it.
I enjoyed the ribbons, wrap, and candles without the urge to put them in the cart. I have enough wrapping and boxes to last ten more Christmases. I've stopped myself from scavenging opaque plastic food wrapping from the trash, even though it could be used to wrap a gift. If I recycle usable wrap, gift bags, and such then I will never have to buy wrap again anyway.

On the way home, I even turned the radio on to the Christmas station. That special holiday feeling doesn't have to come with a hefty price tag.

No comments:

Google