Monday, October 6, 2008

My weekend- a rambling retrospective.

I had a great weekend.

Hubby took Little Guy out for a hours to do guy things. My Mom showed up to stay the night for my birthday. When she asked what I wanted for my birthday I said a babysitter. She also stopped by the salvage store and bought a few things for me like .20 cent Power Bars. She also brought two partially cooked pizzas my brother brought home from work the night before. Nothing tastes better than free Papa John's pizza fresh from your own oven.
My Mom, Big Girl and I went to garage sales. The pickings were slim but garage saling is great just for entertainment value alone. I also hit up a few free boxes for kitchen utensils. I drove her to Wal-greens to pick up the free rebate items and then we went to K-Mart for double coupon shopping. I bought a 64 oz. bottle of Welch's Juice, Friskies cat treats, mini pads, a box of Celestial Seasonings tea, a bottle of Shout stain remover, and a bottle of Windex for $6.


Then we made a birthday cake with sale cake mix and I mixed up a batch of frosting. I normally keep cheap frosting in the pantry but my stock was gone. When I have a can of frosting I only use half and freeze the other. My buy it price for frosting is one dollar per can which makes my frosting cost .50 cents per cake. Hubby said that I should just make my own from now on because it tasted pretty good. But, I figured the cost and it is actually more to make your own frosting using butter, confectioners sugar, milk, and vanilla. The price of butter has risen to $2.50 or more per four pack box. My buy it price is around $2 but I'll buy it for more if we need it. So, if I price the butter at a generous .50 per stick and add the cost of sugar, milk, and vanilla then we're actually spending more for frosting.

Then Hubby and I went to Lowe's without kids and priced a few things and I bought a hatchet for breaking up the big limbs in the backyard. I did like the hatchet but my best birthday present was a pink Planetary Design French Press coffee mug. I'm drinking coffee from it right now. Yum!

After the kids went to bed, Hubby and I snuck off to a movie (a rare treat) and then we went out for a late late dinner at Waffle House. Why do pecan waffles taste so much better after midnight?

Yesterday we went to a tiny farm in our neighborhood and the kids picked out their pumpkins and we bought two bales of hay for covering our grass seed in the backyard. We hung out at home and I did loads of laundry while the kids, hubby, and dog worked/played in the backyard.
Then we started working on cleaning out our garage for resealing and filling cracks in our concrete. We started a pile of toys and other things for a garage sale next year. It was a fruitful day.

Today I have piles of laundry to finish. I haven't kept up with the laundry for a few days and I am paying for it. It definitely makes sense for me to do a load and put it away everyday so it doesn't get overwhelming.

No comments:

Google