Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Using the recycling bin for art supplies


We have paints, crayons, markers, all kinds of scissors, hole punches, stickers, beads, ribbons, glue, tape, glitter, and paper galore.

What do my children want to play with?

Water and everything from the recycling bin. As soon as I wash something and put it in the recycling bin, I turn around and it's being carted away to the bathroom to test it's tensile strength and buoyancy. It's cheap entertainment and perhaps (it's a stretch, I know) some scientific knowledge is being gleaned. But, I'm getting really tired of cleaning up leaking milk jugs partially filled with paint colored water and water sogged toilet paper tubes.

I know in the future, maybe as I'm helping to pack them for college, I'll be wishing that they were still gleefully flushing the toilet over and over (Little Guy) or hunting pet rolly pollies under every rock in the back yard (Big Girl).



1 comment:

Shanna said...

Yes, you will miss these days...my baby just turned 21 and lives in campus housing. Your post made me laugh - I remember when he and his sister entertained themselves for hours with cardboard boxes and the paper towel tubes (Matt called them his "doot-de-doo's" because he used them for trumpets and that was the sound he made!).

Google