Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Giving Thanks and Counting Blessings.

My mind has returned to thinking frugally after a month or so of distraction. These last few weeks (well, two until school starts) have me pondering how to suck the last little bits of joy out of summer.
My favorite frugal things in summer:

Hanging laundry to dry
Garden fresh tomatoes
Buttery corn on the cob
Sun Tea
Catching Lightening Bugs
Bubbles and Sidewalk Chalk
Shady playgrounds
Kool Aid popsicles
Goodwill sundresses

------------

I took a load of (free with coupon) cat food to the food pantry this morning. I took a spin around their thrift store and was amazed at how low their prices were. I bought .50 cent Carters shirts, and like new OshKosh overalls for $1.00. I bought myself a new Liz Claiborne purse for $1.
It puts the Goodwill pricing to shame. But, the pickings were slim as it's back to school time and a lot of people get their items for reduced cost or free when they can't afford them otherwise. It's a great charity and I wished I had brought more to donate as the need seemed great.
So, after I left I went to the discount grocery store- I needed to go anyway. And the sticker shock hit again. I didn't buy as much as I intended too because the prices of previously cheap foods have risen so much (generic mac and cheese is now .35). But, I did fill two bags and plan on delivering them tomorrow with some outgrown toys and kids clothes. It looked like they needed them.

How glad and blessed am I that my husband's job provides for us well and I am able to do a small part to help others. I think often of how the poor economy affects those who were just scratching to get by before the prices starting going up. How much worse can it get? It makes me nervous.

No comments:

Google