Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Do you Netflix? Movies for the Frugalistas

The Gleaners and I

I gave this documentary by French filmmaker Agnes Varda four out of five stars. But only because I thought she spent too much time on "artful frivolities" like the way her lens cap dangled or the aged contours of her hand instead of sticking to the meat of the subject. We meet a man whose diet consists of what he finds tossed out by others. We see gleaners in a potato field harvesting the excess.


I'm a big fan of the PBS reality documentaries. These are all available on Netflix.

Frontier House

Colonial House

Manor House

1940's House

1900 House

Texas Ranch House This one is my least favorite of the PBS reality documentaries because there's a lot of conflict. But, not a bad way to kill an evening.


Pioneer Quest is not available on Netflix and my library doesn't carry it but maybe yours does?

Please comment if I've missed any. I'm always looking for a good movie to Netflix.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh you absolutely HAVE to see "The Good Neighbors." It's a British series from the 70's about a couple who leaves behind the "rat race" to live completely self-sufficiently on their own land - in the suburbs. It is AWESOME. (Okay, there are some definitely non-PC moments to ignore, just a fair warning there.)

Out to add The Gleaners and I to my queue right now!

Anonymous said...

I don't have any other DVDs to add but you may want to check out the Alaska Experiment on the Discover Channel. The took four groups of people, gave them some survival training, and then sent them to various locations in Alaska. They had shelter, a stove, and some food staples to get started and they have to do the rest to make it through the winter. It's interesting to see how the handle it.

Jenny's Vegcafe said...

badhuman- I read about that and I really want to see it. We lightened our dtv package last year and I don't get DC anymore.

Google