Tuesday, March 11, 2008

That's (free) Entertainment.


After dinner last night the whole family attended a Parents As Teachers Spring Training night at the local pre-school. There was free face painting, homemade playdoh to roll into hot dog shapes, a mini t-ball game, board games, dress up etc. We all had a good time. We briefly debated ice cream treats but came home to eat one girl scout cookie with our leftover milk from dinner.

After breakfast this morning I took the kids to Barnes and Noble to play with the Thomas the train table. Last time I took the kids to play my son had a -MAJOR- tantrum when we left. I was so embarrassed. Today I decided to try again with a game plan. I packed crackers and juice boxes (rare treats) and the camera. I also took a library book for myself to read so I wouldn't be tempted to purchase. I warned them many times (mostly for my son's benefit) that if they threw fits or acted out in any way we would immediately leave and there would be no snack. I also planned plenty of time for them to play so they would be ready to leave when the time came. It worked great. I got to read half of my book, 14-Hours-Til-Bedtime which is just right for me since it's chopped into short paragraphs were I can easily stop and say, "Share." When our playtime hour was up both kids seemed ready to go.
We mosey over to the cafe area (with me holding my breath the whole time waiting for the wailing & gnashing of teeth and the sputtering of "CHOO CHOO"). I let Big Girl pick out a giant cookie to share between the three of us and I ordered myself a small machiato. I was so pleased with my kids and so glad that Barnes and Noble has that train table with chairs for Moms. I enjoyed that cup of coffee- feeling smug that I had given birth to two such angels (ha).

I made it through a fifteen minute clearance session at Old Navy but the kids were weary and starting to get loud. I picked up three things for a friends new baby boy (a heavy knitted sleep suit for 2.99, a cardigan for 1.99, and a sleeper set for 1.99) and a winter shirt for Big Girl all for less than ten dollars.

It's warming up here so I took a longer tour of the neighborhood and we pretended we were on a wild animal safari. In our neighborhood there's normally a dog or two being walked or an errant bunny. All we saw today were five geese, a blue jay, a grackle, and one plump bellied robin. I'm so glad spring is on it's way.

Now I have to get back to my chores.

No comments:

Google