Thursday, February 7, 2008

A Fanny Farmer Favorite: Cheap Sponge Cake

I've been craving cake. I did find one big bag of restaurant cake mix in the pantry from Big Lots (on clearance for .75) but I am going to save it to make birthday cakes for the kids.

This Fanny Farmer Recipe is cheap, quick and easy.

Cheap Sponge Cake

Yolks 3 eggs
11/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon hot water
Whites 3 eggs
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons vinegar

Beat yolks of eggs until thick and lemon-colored, add sugar gradually, and continue beating; then add water, flour mixed and sifted with baking powder and salt, whites of eggs beaten until stiff, and vinegar. Bake thirty-five minutes in a moderate oven, in a buttered and floured cake pan.



I added a little vanilla extract. Next time I will take this out after 28 minutes as it is a little tough. Would be delicious served with fruit and whipped cream.

No comments:

Google